KELOWNA – The BC Arts Council (BCAC) board has approved two grants for organizations in Kelowna, which together total $39,400.
Who will benefit:
- The Kelowna Ballet Society – $15,000
- Okanagan Symphony Society – $24,400
“A healthy arts scene strengthens local culture, and also goes a long way towards generating tourism, and helps create a sense of community.”
– Kelowna-Mission MLA Steve Thomson
“Kelowna and the Okanagan are so rich in arts and culture. It’s great to see the local Ballet and Symphony Societies benefitting from these grants.”
– Westside-Kelowna MLA Ben Stewart
- The British Columbia government is providing $16,831,000 to the BC Arts Council (BCAC) to support arts and culture in communities throughout the province during the 2012-13 fiscal year.
- Last year, BCAC approved 1,027 grants to applicants from more than 200 communities throughout B.C.
- The B.C. government established the BCAC in 1995 and appoints the council’s 15-member board, including the chair and vice chair.
- Since 2001, the BC Arts Council has granted more than $185 million to artists and cultural organizations in British Columbia.
- Total arts and culture support from the B.C. government exceeds half a billion dollars over the last decade.
For more information:
For more information, visit the BC Arts Council’s website at: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca