KELOWNA –Anne McClymont Primary School’s Parent Advisory Council is receiving a $10,000 reimbursement for playground equipment. The funding is part of $2.4 million to reimburse PACs throughout the province that recently purchased playground equipment for their kids with funds they raised.
“Playgrounds are a vital part of the primary school experience for thousands of children, and physically active children actually do better in the classroom.”
-Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Norm Letnick
“This is very exciting news for the students at Anne McClymont. I’m sure their playground will contribute to a lot of fun school memories.” -Kelowna-Mission MLA Steve Thomson
“Children discover the world through play, and I am excited we’re able to help provide a fun, healthy playground experience for these young students.”
-Westside-Kelowna MLA Ben Stewart
Based on school district input there are 102 public elementary and middle schools that are eligible to receive a reimbursement towards PAC playground contributions. This spans across 31 school districts.
- Each PAC was eligible to receive up to a maximum of $50,000 depending on how much they contributed to the project.
- School districts will be reimbursed directly by the Ministry of Education, and will be responsible for ensuring their PACs are reimbursed appropriately.
- The first round of funding supported 40 new playgrounds for elementary and middle schools that were identified as not having a playground but wanting one, for a total of $2 million.
- The final phase of the playground program will see approximately $3.6 million being distributed for high-priority playground upgrades, repairs and replacements.
For more information on Education in B.C. visit http://www.gov.bc.ca/bced/
- PACs having concerns about the dollar amounts shown above, or the eligibility of schools not listed, should contact their school district directly. Contact information can be found here: http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/apps/imcl/imclWeb/SchoolBoardSelector.do