LAKE COUNTRY – The Highway 97 Winfield to Oyama project is on schedule and on budget, and is scheduled to be completed this summer.
- The Highway 97 Winfield to Oyama project involves constructing a nine-kilometre, four-lane highway west of the existing two-lane section of Highway 97 between Winfield and Oyama.
- This project replaces the last remaining section of two-lane highway between Kelowna and Vernon.
- Construction commenced on May 28, 2011 and is scheduled to be completed in summer 2013.
- Although the new alignment has been constructed with little impact on the existing highway, as the project nears completion, work will continue on the tie-in locations between the new and old roadways. Travellers are advised to check DriveBC for possible delays.
- The $40.83-million construction contract was awarded to Nanaimo’s Windley Contracting (2010) Ltd. on March 25, 2011.
- Overall project budget is $77.9 million, with a $33.6 million contribution from the Government of Canada under the Building Canada Plan.